In your academic career, you will be asked to write an argumentative essay at some point. An argumentative essay is the same as its name says. It is an essay, you argue by using research and examples to support your point.
A good argumentative essay is written on research, writing, and analytical skills. But, not only the structure, analysis and research also have a good impact on the reader. Even your choice matters the most while you pick up any strong argumentative essay topics. It tells the reader how you feel about your writing work.
Here we'll cover the basics of writing argumentative essays. This includes what is an argumentative essay and how to choose good argumentative essay topics that are right for you. Check out our list of interesting argumentative essay ideas to help you decide on the perfect topic for your argumentative essay.
Argumentative Essay Definition
An argumentative essay is defined as a research work that takes a stance on a controversial topic and attempts to offer evidence in support of that stance. Its aim is to argue on a specific point and present your point of view in a way that readers agree.
An argumentative essay is a type of essay where the writer takes a position and supports it throughout the essay. This piece of writing is a genuine key to develop argumentative abilities.
It helps students in learning more about the subject matter of a specific course. You must pay attention to your subject while picking a topic for your essay.
Back to top
What Is an Argumentative Topic?
Argumentative essay topics are one that excites your interest while providing enough opportunity for persuasive writing.
An argument explains what someone believes, whereas persuasion attempts to persuade someone else to change their mind. Arguments typically examine both sides of an issue before reaching a conclusion based on the evidence. Because you want others to believe that your idea is the best but a persuasive essay is more one-sided.
Essentially, the more controversial argumentative essay topics are, the more they will be discussed. And the easier it will be to take a strong stance in favor of or against it. People will leave a new opinion, perspective, and appreciation for your writing skills if you use hot debate topics.
If you have an option to select your own topics for an argumentative essay. It is best to pursue your interests or passions.
A good place to start is to consider things that affect you daily or a subject you have strong feelings about. It's a good starting point. But be cautious, because most people’s opinions are not supported by solid evidence.
Back to top
20 Hot Topics of Argumentative Essay
These top argumentative essay topics will surely attract the attention of the reader. Remember that you do not have to agree with the position you take in order to craft a winning argument.
But you must make solid, logical arguments supported by reliable and credible sources.
Here are some great topics to start writing your argumentative essay.
- Illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than natives.
- Is the #MeToo movement a positive thing?
- Should abortion be legal or banned?
- Is it both ethical and necessary to use animals in medical testing?
- Human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery.
- Russian and US governments should work together to prevent WW3.
- Hollywood is presenting the wrong image to today’s youth.
- Isn't politics always a dirty game?
- Is it time to abolish the death penalty?
- Asylum seekers should not be categorized as immigrants.
- Is there a moral reason why genetic cloning should be prohibited?
- Modern technologies are capable of eliminating cultural distinctions.
- It is no longer possible to live without a smartphone.
- Is China becoming a new superpower?
- What is the most important body or mind?
- Is policing in the United States racial-based?
- Ozone depletion is dangerous for the atmosphere.
- Should terrorists be treated as criminals or as enemy combatants?
- Should hormone therapy be made available to adolescents who identify as a different gender?
- Should vaccinations be made compulsory by law?
Back to top
Examples of Different Types of Argumentative Topics
If you're still facing trouble with ideas on your own. Check out these varieties of argumentative essay topics for different categories and help yourself to choose one.
- Should the use of antibiotics be regulated in a supervised way?
- Should school-age children receive free mental health care?
- Discuss the importance of organ donation after death?
- Should the United States shift to single-payer healthcare?
- Describe the impact of cognitive treatment on mental illnesses.
- The effectiveness of antidepressants in the treatment of depression.
- How has technology changed the way people communicate?
- Many computer shooting games cause negative impacts on kids.
- Is it true that security cameras intrude on people's privacy?
- Who wins the battle between humans and computers?
- Technology's involvement in globalization.
- Correlation between technological progress and human identity.
- Should every student drug test in college?
- Is cheating getting worse in school?
- Argue the advantages of online schooling or traditional schooling.
- Are parents playing an active part in their children's education?
- Should the state fund higher education?
- Should teachers' abilities be evaluated on a regular basis?
- Is it possible to keep wild exotic animals as pets?
- Animal testing is justified in some circumstances.
- Is it necessary to kill poisonous animals?
- Animal rights as a sign of a civilized society.
- The issue of animal extinction caused by human conflict.
- Is animal health only a source of money?
- Basketball is now seeing a decline in popularity.
- Is there sexism in sports? If so, provide examples.
- Athletes suffer from a variety of chronic health issues.
- Video games can be classified as sports.
- Boxing and other violent sports should be prohibited.
- How do sports affect the academic performance of college athletes?
- Is capitalism the most efficient economic system?
- What steps should be taken to decrease economic disparities?
- Which recent political decision resulted in the greatest change?
- Which is more effective today: war or diplomacy?
- Can we fully eliminate corruption?
- Are revolutions more beneficial or harmful?
- Should religions dictate which religions people can marry from?
- Is religion still serving its purpose in modern society?
- Is atheism a major problem in today's society?
- Do religious intolerance cause conflicts?
- What causes people to change religions?
- Religion is the only thing that matters in our lives.
- Does science have an impact on our planet's climate change?
- Do dreams accurately depict what has occurred or will occur in the physical realm?
- Is the big bang hypothesis correct or incorrect in explaining how the universe began?
- Will a black hole one day consume the entire planet Earth?
- Why should scientists cease fertilizing human eggs?
- Robots will one day think and feel like humans.
- Should the U.S. impose more taxes on the wealthy?
- Do you think labor unions benefit or harm the economy?
- Should the government recognize bitcoin as a legal currency?
- Should the government use economic stimulus to help a state rebuild from a recession?
- Is it appropriate for the government to subsidize farmers?
- Should the pensions of retired government workers be increased?
- Discuss primary causes of racial conflicts?
- The drug war is more dangerous than the drugs itself
- Should everyone on the planet follow the same moral code?
- Discuss the ethics of criminal justice.
- What role does ethics play in schools?
- Should individuals who do not vote on election days be punished?
- The importance of individual cultural identity.
- Diversity of culture in the workplace.
- The role of culture in an individual of mixed origins.
- Should art be identified more academically?
- The originality and uniqueness of Russian artists.
- Why is art education so devalued globally?
- Music education enhances student cognitive capacities.
- Advantages of learning and listening to classical music every day.
- Do you think modern music is as well-written as the music of the 90s?
- There are many present-day films that lack a storyline.
- How long should a feature film be?
- Can music and cinematography also be considered arts?
Back to top
What Are the Most Argued Topics?
If you are going to write an argumentative essay, make sure to choose a topic that is debatable and discussion-worthy. Where two or more sides having a formal discussion and presenting opposing viewpoints.
Some best argumentative essay topic ideas are:
- Will feminism achieve equality?
- Cigarettes are sold to kill people themselves.
- Religion must be included in the education system.
- Birth control is a safe and convenient way to prevent pregnancy.
- Obesity should be considered a disease.
- Government should propose some laws before banning human cloning.
- What religion says in favor and against abortion?
- Did drugs really help some writers to create their masterpieces?
- Should selling organs be legal for transplantation?
- Obsessive use of social media affecting the physical and mental health of students.
- Artificial intelligence is playing a great role in the field of robotics.
- Euthanasia goes against the norms of traditional medicine.
- Is it helpful for students to attend single-sex schools?
- Plastic is one of the major causes of environmental pollution.
- Sexual education should be mandatory for college students.
- Climate change is the greatest threat to humanity today.
- Detention should be eliminated from middle school.
- If World War 3 starts, who will the allies and enemies?
- Should exotic animals be kept as pets?
- Are there more Pros or Cons to online learning?
- Is religion the root cause of war?
- Is it true that literate individuals have greater parenting skills?
- Should indecent clothing and exposure ever be used as a justification for a rapist?
- Is it worthwhile to spend money on space exploration?
- We have enjoyed a prolonged era of global peace and stability since the development of nuclear weapons. Are nuclear bombs used to promote world peace or to kill?
Back to top
Tips to Come up With the Great Argumentative Topic
The preparation part of your essay writing should excite you. So, you need to come up with a topic of your interest.
You need to ask yourself whether this topic will be interesting for you and your target audience or not.
Because if you choose a topic you feel strongly about then there’s more chance you create a strong stance. Also, it will be easier for you to find the evidence to support your argument.
A great tip to construct a compelling argument is to make a list of your ideas first and narrow it down. You will notice that some of the ideas on the list are more powerful than other ones.
The greater the issue, the more evidence you have and the stronger you feel while making arguments. Of course, if you think one issue has more evidence. But if you don't want to write about it, it's better to choose another. Then start working on those specific ideas you want to focus on with additional potential points.
If you're passionate about the issue your topic is addressing, it'll be a lot simpler to uncover powerful points.
It is also very important to check the availability of data about the topic. Select a topic that has a lot of empirical facts that you can use to back up your claim.
Now you have multiple ideas to choose the great argumentative essay topics. Once you have decided on the topic, start working on creating a perfect argumentative essay outline for a quick start. But if it is still a challenging task for you or you don't want to waste time.
Remember that you have a dedicated team of essay specialists on your side. Our writers will research the ideal topic and write the entire argumentative essay from the start.
We are always willing to assist at reasonable rates; simply contact us if you have any queries or want further information. Order an exceptional argumentative paper from EssayWriter.college to expand your knowledge. Our essay writer will guide you through each and every step of the way to writing a great argumentative paper.