Writing a persuasive essay is part of academic writing that you cannot ever get rid run away of. Students of all grades find it complex and twisted to write persuasive essays as they are asked to develop an argument.
Choosing a topic for your persuasive essay is as hard as writing an essay itself. To make your life easier, we have gathered for you more than 50 good persuasive essay topics that you can pick for your essay.
1. What is Persuasive Essay?
A persuasive essay is a type of academic writing in which a writer uses reasons to prove that some arguments and ideas are more accurate and authentic than others. A persuasive essay is quite similar to an argumentative essay but it is not the same thing.
The main difference between the two essay types is that in the persuasive essay a writer decides a particular side to support and provide all information that backs his argument. In contrast to this, an argumentative essay, the writer presents both sides of an issue and leave it on the reader to decide which side to choose.
The purpose of a persuasive essay is to persuade and convince the reader about a certain viewpoint in a specific way. The basic condition of a persuasive essay is that it should be based on logic and shreds of evidence.
1.1 How to Write a Persuasive Essay?
Generally, school and college students write persuasive essays in the same way. The basic pattern in which a persuasive essay is written is as follows:
- Choose a topic sentence - Select an issue on which you have to argue and understand what that issue means to you? What course of actions you will suggest to your readers?
- Know your target audience - Know who you are writing our essay for? If writing as part of your academics, then most probably your audience will be your instructor.
- Research - Conduct thorough research on your topic and collect information and facts as many as you can.
- Structure of your essay - Give structure to the gathered information in a way that it follows a logical flow and transition. Decide what evidence and reasons should be given in order.
- Back your argument - Support your argument in the essay. All the information gathered should help prove the thesis statement. Avoid plagiarism in your essay to make your work credible.
1.2 Persuasive Essay Outline
Like all other essay writing assignments, persuasive writing follows an outline that gives content a structure and a logical format.
The outline of a persuasive essay is similar to the basic essay outline. The outline that persuasive essay follows is a 5 paragraph structure which includes:
- Introduction - The introductory paragraph of a persuasive essay contains a hook statement that is an opening line of the essay. It is written to grab people’s attention and interest.
- Thesis Statement - After a hook, a thesis statement is presented along with its short background information.
- The Body - the body paragraphs of the persuasive essay consists of all the reasons, evidence, facts and data that collectively support and back the thesis statement and the main argument.
- Conclusion - The conclusion includes a summary of the key idea and suggests a course of action to the readers.
2. Persuasive Essay Topics for Middle School
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Do you agree?
- Summer classes - Do they really help?
- Internet filters and censorship - Should they exist in school computers?
- Bullying - Do we have justified punishments for people who bully?
- Gym classes in school - Should they be made mandatory?
- Global warming - Who is responsible?
- Are violent video games causing aggressive behavior in teenagers?
- Are men smarter than women?
- Luck - What is its part in success?
- Home VS regular schooling - Which one is better?
- Was the internet really invented to take control over us?
- Coffee Vs Tea - Which is more harmful?
- Spanking should be made illegal and parents should be punished if they do so.
3. Persuasive Essay Topics for High School
- Overcoming fears - Is it possible?
- Should students be allowed to evaluate their instructors?
- Is using a cell phone in class during lecture ethical?
- Lottery - How to spend the money you win?
- Is moving from rural to an urban area helpful?
- Is the amount of homework college students get fair?
- Should junk food be banned in high schools?
- Does stress cause obesity as well?
- Death penalty in the United States - what is its social value?
- Is time travel really possible?
- Teenagers should have the liberty to decide what profession to choose for themselves.
- How should a decent student dress in a school?
- Following a dress code should be made optional.
4. Persuasive Essay Topics for College
- Does the high school system need to be reformed?
- Local terrorism VS international criminal activities - what’s more important to pay attention to?
- The idea of feminism - what effects it had on motherhood?
- How important it is for a child’s personality to be raised by both of its parents?
- Divorce - Is it only because of the absence of love?
- Do wives who earn more than their husbands dominate them?
- Research paper VS exams - A better way of learning?
- Is working hard at a workplace, the only way to feel better?
- Does truth have the same definition in all parts of the world?
- Hobbies - Do they complement your personal skills?
5. Persuasive Essay Topics on Animals
- Who are better pets? Cats or Dogs?
- Should people who keep exotic animals as pets be discouraged?
- Is protecting and caring for animal habitats important?
- Should punishments be laid on people who hurt animals?
- Are emotional support animals of any help?
- Is hunting immoral?
- Are microchipping homeless dogs and home pets justified?
- Beating animals to train them is acceptable.
- Wildlife conservation can only be done by keeping animals in Zoos.
- Uneducated owners abuse animals.
- Is keeping animals in cage ethical?
- Giving hormones injections to cows should be banned.
- Animal skin and fur products should be illegalized.
- Animal rights should be protected equally as human rights.
6. Sports Persuasive Essay Topics
- College students should be paid to participate in sports.
- Female students should be more encouraged to take part in sports.
- Is cheerleading a sport?
- Does homophobia exist in the sports industry?
- Do gender and ethnic discrimination exist in sports?
- Bodybuilding - Risks for females?
- Importance of sports in a child’s personality building?
- Who has better stamina? A footballer or a cricketer?
- Does drinking energy drinks affect the performance of a sportsman?
- Do mind games require the same energy as rugged sports?
- Is rugby a sport or just a lethal game?
- Soccer or basketball - A better sport?
- Who is the best footballer of all time?
7. Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
- The education system in rural Vs urban areas?
- Should social media be banned in schools and colleges?
- Can you really buy knowledge?
- Does Investing in the education sector help eradicate poverty?
- Do students really learn in early morning classes?
- Traditional schooling Vs Remote education - What is better?
- Stereotyping the educational fields - Justified?
- Homework is an undue burden on students.
- Is teaching commuter programming necessary in schools?
- Arts or Science - The better discipline?
- Should the same education be given to immigrants of third world countries?
- Power of education Vs wealth - which is undefeatable?
- Should transgenders be allowed to get an education in the same institute as others?
8. Funny Persuasive Essay Topics
- Is my pet planning to kill me?
- Funny animal videos on social media are not funny.
- Looks matters the most.
- The only way to make this world a happy place is by legalizing marijuana.
- The boss is not always right.
- Is happy marriage a myth?
- The award for worst movie of the century goes to?
- Why are spam emails more interesting?
- How to look busy at work?
- Do boys gossip as well?
- Should there be a union to protect middle child rights?
- Eldest siblings are the ugliest.
- Jim Carry in the best comedy actor.
- Pretty faces get jobs easily as compared to people who are less attractive.
9. Controversial Persuasive Essay
- Polygamy should be legalized.
- Disable people should be discouraged have babies.
- Learning a foreign language should be mandatory for high school students.
- Having more than 2 kids is unreasonable.
- Mercy killing should be legalized in the whole world.
- Torture is important to interrogate.
- Using biological weapons in war is essential.
- Same-sex marriages should be banned.
- Bullies should be punished by the state.
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt children.
- Stem cell usage is important.
- Reincarnation is a rumor.
- Abortion should be allowed for females under 20.
- Death penalties are a lesson for others.
- It is not always a rapist’s fault.
- Down syndrome in children is because of cousin marriage of parents.
10. How to Choose a Persuasive Essay Topic
While writing any essay type or academic paper, small things can either make your writing brilliant or a total flop. When writing a persuasive essay, simply stating the facts will not be enough.
Choosing the right topic for your essay and presenting it in the best possible way is everything. To get readers convinced and affected it is important to keep in mind that your topic:
- Shouldn’t be too emotional
- Shouldn’t be complex and twisted
- Cliche or mainstream
- Shouldn’t be less interesting for the audience
If you want to want your essay topic and the whole essay engaging and effective, do the following things while choosing a topic:
- Decide your stance and take the stand
- Look for strong evidence and facts
- Make a list of key ideas and thoughts
- Give an outline to your essay
- Choose a broad and accessible topic for your essay
If you are a beginner then writing a persuasive essay will not be an easy task at all. To know the drill, you have to know the basics of writing a persuasive essay.
If you are confused about the pattern, prompt, or anything of your essay, take your instructor’s help and save yourself from making mistakes and errors.